Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Why a "plain-old" picture book can be superior to an app

This is an article by Marla Frazee from the May 2011 Horn Book.  What stands out to me today is the part about how when the pictures in a book don't move, it actually encourages more active participation from the child.  The child would be interested either way, but with the app moving for them, they would merely watch.

(BTW That reminds me of the differences between watching a TV show and listening to a radio show.)

In my store, I've been promoting the book Press Here by Herve Tullet via post-it notes.  I write, "No batteries needed--this 'app' runs on magic!"  But of course what I really mean is that the "app" is powered by the reader's imagination, and that's more magical than running on batteries, or software and code.



I love that Press Here is interactive without even using levers or flaps, let alone electricity.  I would like as many kids and adults as possible to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment